Monday, July 27, 2009

Sesame-Crusted Tuna Steaks


I always have somewhat of an ethical dilemma when I purchase tuna. It's over-fished, but it also happens to be one of my favorite seafoods. Unfortunately, there is really no substitute for the rich, meaty taste of a seared tuna steak, so I have chosen to continue to eat tuna, but only sparingly and only when confident that it has been line caught. This past Sunday, I could not resist purchasing tuna steaks from American Seafood at my local Greenmarket. Caught early that morning off the coast of Long Island, this was some well-sourced tuna that I felt a bit less guilty about enjoying.

I chose to encrust the tuna steaks in a mixture of sesame seeds and spices based on this recipe from Food & Wine magazine. I served the fish with roasted corn mayonnaise with kicked up with some sriracha sauce.










Sesame-Crusted Tuna Steaks

Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 4 6-ounce tuna steaks
  • 4 tbsp. grapeseed oil
  • 1 tbsp. lime zest
  • 1 tsp. ground white pepper
  • 1 tsp. sweet paprika
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. grated ginger
  • 1/2 tsp . crushed red pepper
  • 3 tbsp. while sesame seeds
  • 3 tbsp. black sesame seeds
Directions:
  1. In a bowl combine all ingredients except for the oil and tuna.
  2. Brush tuna steaks on all sides with 2 tbsp. oil.
  3. Rub spice mixture over tuna steaks, patting them down to ensure that the spices adhere.
  4. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large skillet over high heat until very hot.
  5. Add tuna to skillet and sear until just cooked on the outside and rare in the middle, no more than two minutes per side.
  6. Serve tuna with spicy mayonnaise and lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails