Sunday, July 12, 2009

Paella!

Having received rave reviews for my arroz con pollo I decided that it was time to move on to the next level of Spanish cuisine and attempt paella. Due to some last minute substitutions of chicken broth for shrimp broth (I didn't have the time to boil a bunch of shrimp shells) and pimenton for sweet paprika, not to mention my use of a skillet instead of the traditional paella pan, my dish was not 100% authentic. It was not the best, though by far not the worst, paella I've eaten, but it was certainly something I'll make again and improve upon; paella is not nearly as difficult or expensive to make as one might think. Below are some pictures of my paella project:

My mise en place (littleneck clams, monkfish, squid, shrimp, tomatoes, garlic, pimenton, bomba rice, olive oil):



Sauteing the squid, tomatoes, and garlic:


Meanwhile, the broth was simmering with a pinch of saffron:


In goes the broth with clams and the monkfish:


Out of the oven:


In go the shrimp, which I cooked separately:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails