Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Greenmarket Challenge: Day 9

Rather than supplementing my Greenmarket purchases with purchases from the supermarket as I usually do, I bough all of my purchases from the Greenmarket this week. I set myself a budget of $110, which is only slightly more than what I normally spend for two weeks of groceries. Keep in mind that this budget will cover my breakfasts, lunches, and dinner for the next 12 days; that's $11 a day, a fair budget considering my average lunch in midtown Manhattan is $8. I have allowed myself some leg room to use ingredients such as grains, sauces, and garlic that I already had on hand, but other than that necessary allowance, my entire diet for the week will consist of local foods. Follow along with me as I document local my meals over the next twelve days of my Greenmarket Challenge.

Day 9

Breakfast: Poached Knoll Crest eggs over whole wheat toast

Lunch: I cheated and went out for burger with my co-workers

Dinner: Leftover chorizo tortilla, spinach salad

My meals are beginning to become monotonous as I scrounge around for the last of my Greenmarket Challenge ingredients to make it through the final 4 days of the challenge. My boss treated my team to burgers for lunch today, so I was relieved of having to cook one meal. The last 3 days of the challenge will force me to be creative with leftovers. What is keeping me going through the monotony of leftovers is the anticipation of my post-challenge celebratory meal. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails