Monday, June 15, 2009

The Greenmarket Challenge: Day 7

Rather than supplementing my Greenmarket purchases with purchases from the supermarket as I usually do, I bough all of my purchases from the Greenmarket this week. I set myself a budget of $110, which is only slightly more than what I normally spend for two weeks of groceries. Keep in mind that this budget will cover my breakfasts, lunches, and dinner for the next 12 days; that's $11 a day, a fair budget considering my average lunch in midtown Manhattan is $8. I have allowed myself some leg room to use ingredients such as grains, sauces, and garlic that I already had on hand, but other than that necessary allowance, my entire diet for the week will consist of local foods. Follow along with me as I document local my meals over the next twelve days of my Greenmarket Challenge.

Day 7

Breakfast: Poached Knoll Crest eggs on whole wheat toast

Lunch: Rotini salad with sugar snap peas and spring garlic pesto

Dinner: Knoll crest egg tortilla with Flying Pigs Farm chorizo (recipe below)

As I go into the final week of my challenge, I'm having to get creative with my proteins as supplies are beginning to run out. While my produce supplies should last me well over 12 days, I am anticipating some vegetarian meals coming up. Or, as was the case today, I will have be on egg overload. Fortunately, the tortilla I made with Knoll Crest eggs and Flying Pigs chorizo was unique enough where I could forget about the poached eggs I had already had for breakfast.


Chorizo Tortilla

Ingredients:
  • 6 eggs
  • Salt, to taste
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 5 small to medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 link fresh chorizo sausage, casing removed

Directions:
  1. Beat eggs in a bowl. Add salt to taste and set aside.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet (or frittata pan) over medium heat.
  3. Layer potatoes and onion slices in skillet. Sprinkle each layer with salt. Cook, flipping layers every five minutes, until potatoes are soft, 15-20 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, saute chorizo in a small skillet over medium heat. Break up sausage with the back of a spoon and cook until browned. Drain sausage and add to eggs.
  5. When potatoes and onions are cooked, drain them from the oil (save olive oil for another use). Add potatoes and onions to bowl containing eggs and set aside for 15 minutes. Wipe off the skillet.
  6. Add two tbsp of reserved olive oil to skillet (or bottom of frittata pan) and heat over high. Add egg, sausage, and potato mixture and reduce heat to med-high. Jiggle pan to prevent sticking.
  7. Cook egg mixture until potatoes begin to brown, about five minutes. Flip eggs (either by using a plate or with a frittata pan) and cook other side until potatoes brown, another 3-5 minutes. Flip tortilla a few more times to give it a nice shape. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails